Saturday, January 29, 2011

Ame-Comi Statues: Friend of Foe?

Hey everybody,

On the most recent episode of the podcast, one of the items on the pull list was a set of miniature Ame-Comi figures from DC Direct that will be hitting stores this week. If you are unfamiliar with the Ame-Comi statues, they can basically be explained as an anime/manga representation of DC Heroes and villains in pvc statue format. There have been several in the past include Duela Dent, Harley Quinn, Catwoman, Batman, Robin, Zatanna, Black Canary, and several others, and this week they are releasing miniature versions of the popular line.  The statues in question are pictured below.


Now, here's my deal.. I consider myself to be a huge fan of the anime/manga style, and honestly a fan of Japanese influenced style on America culture. I personally adore all sorts of vinyl action figures like Kid Robot and Tokidoki, and to have my favorite characters represented in this style seems like I would fall head over heels in love with these statues, and I do like them.

BUT.. 

I feel like I can't stand within 100 feet of them because they get sooo perverse. I mean, Ivy with a serpentine vine? Come on, that's just sick. And that's a recurring problem will all of these statues, they are so obviously pandering to the perverted side of comic/manga/anime fandom, and it's completely unnecessary, and honestly embarrassing. Why can't they just make them a little less perverse?

And seriously, I think the only Ame-Comi male statue was Batman, and it was ridiculously awesome, but still, it's just one, so it's clear what DC Direct is doing.

So, this is my problem, I really like the idea of these statues, and I'd love to have some where the inanimate objects that I would put on my shelf aren't so sexed up, and just make anyone that has them look incredibly creepy. So, get on that, DC Direct, I'd buy these if they weren't marketed towards psychos, and even if you dressed them up a little more, BOTH markets would purchase them.

Believe me, the sick people aren't going to care, just the idea alone will make them purchase them, and the saner group of people are more likely to buy them if they weren't so creepy.

Class these up, and I'll buy, and I'm willing to bet a lot more people will.

No comments:

Post a Comment